Friday, February 10, 2012

BEFORE & AFTER: Baby Hanson's Nursery


I know it's been awhile since my last blog spot. Sorry about that, but I've come back with some great Before and After shots of my new niece or nephew's nursery. At the end of last year, I had a post with the concept board I had created for the baby's room.

My sister and brother-in-law are not finding out the sex of the baby, so they asked me to come up with a gender-neutral design. As a gift for the baby, my mom and I purchased the bedding from Target and I worked the design of the room around the bedding. I used the bedding to match the paint colors. This was key, because I originally thought the bedding had yellow & gray in it because I only knew what it looked like from it's online photo. Turns out, it was more of a light yellow-lime green and a warm gray-beige. No worries, I just took the bedding and matched the paint colors to it. We used Martha Stewart paint colors, but had it mixed in Behr's Paint & Primer-in-one product. It goes on really well.

My very pregnant sister couldn't wait to start so while I was at work and my nephew napped, she painted over the green paint and created our base to start painting the stripes. Don't ask me how she did it. She's due April 4th!

Here are the shots of my dad, me and Jaxon painting. My mom helped too and provided lunch. Ignore the photo of me, I was very sick the day before, and just recovering :)

I had Jaxon paint his name on the wall for the baby.

Lining up the stripes.
 We decided to make each painted stripe 12.5" high and we used a special "lock-tight" painter's tape. My dad found it at Home Depot and it was awesome. As you press the paint down it locks in place so paint doesn't bleed underneath the tape which is always really annoying.

Stripes before the tape comes down

Now the big Reveal!!!! My sister painted the bookcase and added an off-white shag rug and drapes from IKEA. I'd like to add a color ribbon either hot pink or light blue to the edge of the curtain depending on if it's a boy or a girl. I'm also commissioning Jaxon to do a fun art piece for his new sister or brother that we can hang up in the room.  I created the fabric photo board over the changing table, and my sister plans on adding a vinyl decal of the baby's name or stencil it once the little one arrives. 

(just as a reminder, here are the BEFORE pictures)


and here are the AFTER shots...





This was our grandfather's favorite chair!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you gave the bedding as a gift, but creating this room for your niece/nephew is definitely one awesome gift!!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazingly beautiful job Eleana! You are extremely talented.

    ReplyDelete