Saturday, July 2, 2011

Living Room Reveal

Remember that "Brown Overload" or "BO" problem I had with my living room?
Our living room is one of our favorite rooms in the house. We spend most of our time here with our two dogs Damon and Casey. But all the brown was driving me crazy. A few weeks ago while my husband was at drill, I made a trip to our local Benjamin Moore store and picked up a few samples. It's the best thing you can do when you're just not sure what paint color to go with.

I ended up going with Benjamin Moore "Beach Glass".

Then, do you remember those 70's tables I bought on Craigs list for $50 a few months back?


 I finally got around to painting them. I found the best product and I highly recommend it. In 10 minutes, Rustoleum in Dark Walnut, Satin finish transformed my Craigs List tables. I love how they turned out.


And here's the big living room reveal. I still have to hang up some artwork or photography on the TV wall, it's pretty bare right now, but overall I love how it turned out. The light colored walls really brightened up the room and made it feel bigger. I bought some linen drapes that were on sale from West Elm and purchased some nickel drapery ring hooks from overstock.com to dress up the windows. I made a much needed trip to IKEA a few weeks ago and bought the oversized floor mirror. I have been in love with this mirror for the longest time. It's so versatile. If I ever get sick of it here, I could always move it to another room very easily.

 (The curtains look a little yellow in this picture, I think it's because of the sunlight and the flash on my camera. They are actually a flax color.)

I'm going to order some fun patterned fabric to make some new throw pillows. The sofa looks too bare.

 Those hydrangeas are from our garden, and my favorite flower.

 Here's a look at our new sliding doors to the screened porch. We just had a window here before we did the kitchen remodel. During the remodel, we removed the door in the kitchen that went out to the screened porch so that we could gain more wall space for additional storage. We originally ordered french doors for the living room, but plumbing that runs up to our master bath interfered with the french doors. The doors were 3" too wide apparently (we were on vacation in Mexico, when the contractor called to tell us about the doors not fitting. At that point, I was so sick of the remodel I just told him to find something that fits and I'd sell the french doors. I ended up selling them for almost what we paid for them on Craigs List.) These french looking sliding doors were narrower and fit so we went with them. Either way, I love how our screened porch is an extension of the living room now.


I finally really happy with the living room. Just a few more added touches and it will be complete. On to the next project :)

Happy 4th of July everyone!

1 comment: