Friday, January 13, 2012

Refreshing our Master Bathroom

My husband asked me what fun thing I wanted to do for my birthday and my reply was "DIY Projects". Crazy I know, but that's truly what I wanted to do. So we tackled our master bathroom, which is actually "my bathroom". Mike uses our second full bathroom on the second floor. (As a side note, the key to a successful marriage is having separate bathrooms. I'm a true believer of this.)

Our home's previous owners did a great job of updating all the bathrooms in the house. They even added a jet tub in the master bathroom which is my absolute favorite. We repainted the half-bathroom on the 1st floor when we remodeled our kitchen, but never got around to doing the two full bathrooms on the second floor. They were in dire need of a new paint job. As much as I would clean and scrub both bathrooms, they never felt clean. Here are BEFORE photos our master bathroom. Everything was really dingy and the exhaust fan was just plain nasty.

The stained glass window looks into the other full bathroom. I love how the previous owners added this in.

My old IKEA nightstand serves as storage for all my make-up and hair tools. I really want to find a small desk that can serve as my make-up table. I want to move my lucite Ghost chair in here too.


Gross!!! that's dust trapped in there and we found a dead bug in the inside!

Hard to tell from the photo, but the trim was so stained, I couldn't stand it anymore


Now here are photos after we repainted everything, the trim, wainscotting, the ceiling and the walls. It feels so much cleaner and fresher in here now. I didn't want to use a true white, so I went with Martha Stewart's "Popcorn". You can find her line of paints at Home Depot. I just had them mix it using the Behr Primer and Paint in One product which goes on like butter. The wall color is Martha Stewart's "Bedford Gray". We plan on using these same colors in the second full bathroom. I also moved the towel rack to the opposite wall to allow room for me to add a small make-up table/desk in the future. It's amazing what a new paint job can do to a space. Overall this project just cost me about $75 for both gallons of paint (Popcorn & Bedford Gray, and some new paint brushes.)




Night photo using only the flash

1 comment: