Monday, August 6, 2012

Fresh from our Vegetable Garden & Local Farmers' Market at the Hillstead Museum

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. It was super hot here in CT, but we still enjoyed the outdoors a little. First, I want to show you a picture I had on my phone of vegetables from our little vegetable garden. Ask anyone in my family, I do not have a Green Thumb, so this is a big deal for me to be able to eat anything from the garden.



On Sunday, Mike and I took the dogs to a local Farmers' Market at the Hillstead Museum in Farmington, CT. I said to Mike, this is "what I love about New England." This area of the state is very scenic, so if you ever have a chance to drive through, I definitely recommend it. My best friend Alex got married at Hillstead a few years ago in the fall and it was just a beautiful wedding. Every Sunday morning, they have local farmers come in to sell everything from organic goat's milk soap to purple potatoes. One farmer said to me, "I just picked these cucumbers this morning." Awesome!  We've decided that we are going to try and come as often as possible until it ends in October. Here are a few pictures that I took from the market.




And here are some Instagram photos from the grounds at the Hillstead Museum...and a little background on the home.

Hill-Stead has been a hub of activity since the Pope family first occupied their newly built country estate in Farmington, Connecticut. Here, from 1901 to 1946, in succession, Alfred and Ada Pope and their daughter Theodate, with her career-diplomat husband John Wallace Riddle, entertained many illustrious individuals—authors, artists, poets, academics and presidents. The Popes and Riddles also extended their hospitality to town folk and employed dozens of workers, among them Earnest Bohlen, butler to the family for nearly 60 years. Today, Hill-Stead is a 152-acre, 10-building museum and a National Historic Landmark. (From www.hillstead.org)






No comments:

Post a Comment