Friday, July 6, 2012

National Guard Drill = DIY Weekend for Me

This weekend my husband has drill for the CT National Guard. It's not an overnight drill, so he will be home around dinner time, but for most of the weekend he won't be home. I'm sorry that he has to leave, but you have to make the most of the situation, so I'm going to do what I love and tackle some DIY projects around the house. For the past few weeks I've been giving our living room a little bit of a facelift. I've sewn new drapes and throw pillows that have really transformed the room. You'll have to stay tuned for photos! It's not quite done yet. Our media console is sort of falling apart and I'd like to scour the local antique and second hand stores this weekend to see if I can find anything that I can repaint and repurpose. I love the idea of putting two narrow tables together like this room from Better Homes & Gardens.


I also have these amazing watercolor prints I bought in Paris that I want to frame around the flat screen tv to create an art gallery wall in our living room. Also, I'd love to find two tables or one large one that is open on the bottom where I can place a few upholstered square ottomans. IKEA has these really inexpensive ones ($14.99) that are super cute and they could be dressed up with fabric or ribbon.


My second project that I have on my list for this weekend is to reupholster the ugly dark ottoman we have in our living room.

We bought it a few years back (I think 2005) when we first moved to Savannah. It's moved with us over the years and has all these nicks on the legs and I just don't like the dark faux leather. My plan is to find a light blue fabric that I can staple right over the ottoman and then add nailhead trim along the bottom. For the legs, I just want to spray paint them a dark brown so they look fresh and new again.

With this being said, my motivation to get some of these projects done is a new Pinterest Summer Challenge put out by some of my favorite bloggers (Centsational Girl, Ten June, Young House Love & Bower Power) I would need to submit photos and a little blurb about my DIY project by this Tuesday, July 10th. I think I can pull it off. For more info, check out Centsational Girl's post about the Challenge.



Happy Friday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment