Sunday, October 16, 2011

DIY Project: Goodwill Chair Transformation

Remember that wooden chair I bought at Goodwill two weeks ago for $11 in North Hampton, MA? Well, I finally got around to redoing it this weekend and I think it turned out pretty well.

First I cleaned it off and took the screws out that held the seat in place. Piece of cake!



Next, I spray painted the chair with White paint, in a Satin Finish. While the paint was drying, I upholstered the seat. To reupholster the chair seat I used a sample of the Riad patterned fabric by Kravet and laid its good side down on the work table.



Next, I layered some quilt batting on top to add some extra cushion to the chair seat.  I bought a small bag for about $4 at Walmart.


Then, I centered the seat onto the middle of the fabric and quilt batting.


Using a staple gun, I started to pull and the fabric and quilt batting over onto the seat cover, held it in place tightly, then stapled it down. It's a good idea to do one corner then, the opposite corner so that the fabric and batting don't shift in place.



.....and here's the finished seat



After the white spray paint dried, it looked ok, but the white was really white! I brought it inside and realized it was too white and I hated it. I found some brown spray paint cans in the garage, so I thought I would give those a whirl, but absolutely hated the brown and realized I had really messed up and I should have stayed with what I had. I can't even tell you how upset I was with myself. Good thing we had date night at the movies to get my mind off of it.

I woke up the next morning, and I found a can of leftover trim paint from our kitchen renovation. I tried it and after a few coats because of the brown paint I had to cover, the chair turned out pretty good. Not being a stark white anymore definitely helped and I like how the chair turned out. I quickly screwed the seat back into place and made a small accent pillow in a coordinating Windsor Smith fabric for the finishing touch.

Here's the finished chair in our living room. I think it's so fun and fresh and I love how it turned out. Not bad for an $11 chair from Goodwill.




1 comment: